So it’s finally over and I’ve actually learnt loads from this project. As well as learning how to give the illusion of weight effectively I’ve also learned so much more about how to render with Arnold, particularly through messing around with finding a way to light my exterior scene.
I’ve also learnt how to use splines to rig ropes and set up a scene for a camera as well as just modelling an environment.
All in all I think it went pretty well, there are a few things I’d like to go back and improve on but not a bad finish to the year I think 🙂
So in this project although it wasn’t marked on anything but the movement of the character I think that an environment really helps with the story aspect of it.
So here is how you make one 🙂
- Blockout!Always start by blocking out a rough idea of what you want it to look like, it helps to set up your camera so you know where things are in the scene. The aim is to figure out composition and where your character will sit in the scene.
- Low poly scene!After blocking you need to fill your scene with the actual assets, adding colour to them helps define each bit and see how it will look overall, remember to change the material to AI Standard and don’t ever touch Lambert 1!
- Smoothing it out!Now you need to go into your assets and add edges so that when you smooth them over they don’t collapse on themselves and go all weird.
- Lighting!Next you want to light your scene. I used the standard 3 point lighting with area lights around my character, but then I also added a directional light as the sun and used the temperature setting the give it a warmer feel. I also added an AI Physical Sky as the background.
- Final Render!Finally once your scene is set up you want to test out what it looks like in the rendered image and that’s it!
So now that I’ve finished animating I just started making the scene look a bit nicer 🙂
So I got sick of looking at that stupid models face and ended up making a waterfall to make my scene look a little more interesting 🙂
So the rope doesn’t clip through his hands at all anymore and added a little bounce to it when he falls, still not sure on his front foot but sorted out the lighting and everything else as well now 🙂
So I’m now half way through inbetweening which I think will be done by Monday. Then I want to go in an fix that foot it just won’t stay still. I also need to sort out his fall his feet need to drag a bit more.
I noticed that the lighting looks a bit cold as well so I want to turn the temperature up a bit and then I should be ready to render 🙂
Tested out the lighting again now that everything is in the scene, its not too shabby, a little bright but can tweak that in Photoshop later 🙂